Monday, June 30, 2008

List and sublists and books and luck.

I love books. Travis, who worked all day and just got home at 1:30 am, is currently building me a third bookshelf to contain the overflow within my personal library. He's a good man.

Two anecdotes from the past week having to do with books:

1.) I've been having a hard time in school lately, mainly because I'm taking Biology and Literary Theory and have no idea what's going on in any of my classes. For instance, here are a couple of sample sentences from my homework:

a.) DNA polymerase pairs up an exposed adenine base in the parental strand with a thymine base in a free nucleotide.

b.) Modleski identifies the academic recuperation of feminism via masculinity studies a consequence of theoretical shifts as well, namely poststructuralism's antihumanist approaches to identity, experience, and subjectivity.

I can probably look every single one of those words up in the dictionary and find coherent meanings for each of them. Yet in context with each other... wtf? So needless to say I'm having to fight a huge battle just to coax 1,000 to 2,400 words out of myself on something I barely understand. Study breaks help, and one of my favorite things to do on an study break is re-organize my books. Which is exactly what I was doing two days ago when I found $70 cash in one of the volumes. It really does pay to read. Even if you're basically illiterate when it comes to reading the stuff that counts for a grade.

2.) I buy approximately 60% of my books on half.com. Don't ask me how I came up with that figure, it's just a very educated guess. Anyway, I recently spend an hour or two drooling over first editions of Haruki Murakami's 2002 short story collection After the Quake. First edition/first printings go for about $150, so I ordered a first edition/second printing for ten bucks. Lo and behold, a freaking pristine 1st/1st showed up in my mailbox three days later. It almost made me believe in a benevolent universe (don't worry, I got over it as soon as I went back to writing my Lit Theory paper).

Is this the most boring blog ever? Probably.

1 comment:

Jonny said...

I love reading.
I'm jonny by the way.
I came across your blog while browsing.
It's really interesting and i'm a fan.
Well feel free to read/comment my posts.
I'd greatly appreciate it.
:]